Monday, October 31, 2011

Optical Illusions for People Who Hate Optical Illusions

Can you solve these fiendishly hard puzzles?


ANSWERS:

1. Circle B, genius.
2. There is no sheep.
3. Curved (except the one in the middle)

I've always wanted to do this. It's not that I dislike optical illusions, but they always start off pretentiously by asking a leading question. If you're looking at something that says "Optical Illusion" at the top and it's showing you a picture of a yellow circle surrounded by small black circles next to a picture of a yellow circle surrounded by large black circles, then the yellow circle is going to be the same size in both images.

The odd thing here is that, in the process of whipping this up, I accidentally generated a real optical illusion. The blue lines become lighter where they overlap on the black, something I don't think I've ever seen done before (though the grid of black squares and white lines takes advantage of the same brain malfunction). Has anyone else seen this or did I accidentally come up with something genuinely new in the act of making fun of that very thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment